Monday, August 25, 2008

Week 1.

I can almost smell college football: the greatest of all sports seasons. I can almost feel the excitement that will fill the air when I turn on my TV Thursday night to watch two teams I rarely root for. 

The NCSU/USC game will have more meaning though this year as a fellow graduate of my high school will start at quarterback for the Wolfpack--giving him a 50% chance of taking the first college football snap I see as a college graduate. I hope he does very well, of course, and I hope he wins because I hate Steve Spurrier...ok, not only because I hate Steve Spurrier.

Because of Thursday's game, Saturday will come quicker. I will wake up hungover. There is no denying this fact. I will wake up hungover and I will wake up early (I'm one of those weird males who wakes up early on fall Saturdays the same way children wake up early on Christmas morning). I'll force down some sort of breakfast and I will start the festivities. 

College Gameday, girls in their gameday attire and friends drinking liquor way too early in the day have become staples of college football when I'm in Athens. This year has added something different though. When the tailgates are put on hold as kickoff approaches, fans will enter Sanford Stadium. They will walk in the same entrances and sit on the same metal bleachers. There is something different though and I am going to be there because it isn't something one should take for granted.

The Silver Britches will leave the tunnel for the first time in a long time as the undisputed #1 team in the land. It might last a few hours, a few weeks, or a few months if we're lucky. Either way, seeing the Bulldogs as the #1 team will be added to my list of personal UGA football "I-was-there's". 

All I can say is that this is a wonderful time to be a Bulldog fan. The stellar end to last year left the entire University with a sweet but slightly bitter taste in its mouth. We were better than we could have been but we could have been better than we were. Maybe every year gives us that taste in our mouths...

Unless this truly is the year the drill is finished...


---------------------------------------------------------------------

And another thing...

ESPN.com's Chris Low released his preseason all-SEC team today and only running back Knowshon Moreno made the team. I'm not going to say anything because he's a professional but I'd love to see Stafford, MoMass, Tripp Chandler, Geno, JO, Dannell, Rennie, Asher, Reshad or anyone else step up and prove some of media guys wrong. Or you know what. Even better, I hope a few rings and a crystal football fills the void left by a Chris Low snub.

No comments: