Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What Happened, Techies?

So everyone is going bananas about the NCAA's release of the academic progress ratings (APR) released the other day, and I noticed something interesting...

All of you know how annoying the Techies are. All I've heard about since I got to UGA is how we stink at everything, from life to academics. I have honestly and seriously heard a Tech fan tell one of my friends that he should study hard because one day he will need a good job and GT alumni look down upon bad grades coming out of UGA. It was kind of hard for us to reply, because I mean let's be honest with each other, we're not nerd majors. I'm sorry that you graduated from Tech, but please, we're not coming to you, the executive VP of the engineering department, looking for a job. We're actually coming to your company, looking to be your CEO. Not only that, but we may even own that company. Looking to you for a job? Ha!

I bring that story up because in the new APR list of scores, someone's football team comes in at #34 overall, and someone else's football team ranks around #64.

Of course, your immediate reaction was to put GT ahead of UGA right? Not so fast my friend. UGA's cumulative score came out at a 965, while Tech averaged a whopping 951. What's going on over there guys? Everyone leaving for the NFL? Your argument for rigorous academics will get a laugh in the face because schools like Penn, Stanford, and Duke all scored over 25 points higher than you. Academics shmacademics. You also better keep your coaching staff on a leash if you want to improve these numbers, because let me tell you, if your coach can smoke pot and drink and drive, your kids will to. Have fun with that one.

I will also note that UGA lined up 5 spots behind Notre Dame, 7 ahead of the Gaytors, and, surprisingly to me, 17 ahead of Vanderbilt.

Also See: Bein' 34th ain't all bad (Gridiron Gate)
APR numbers released (GB Blog)
Official UGA Release (GeorgiaDogs.com)

1 comment:

Bop said...

Great stuff over here. Like your site.