Wednesday, April 30, 2008

We're all for equal opportunity but...


(Photo courtesy washington.edu)


...when will college football's postseason stop expanding. I'm not talking about the BCS right now, and apparently neither is the BCS committee. Unfortunately, I'm speaking of the Postseason Football Licensing Subcommittee and their decision to add two more bowl games to the schedule next year. The Congressional Bowl and the St. Petersburg Bowl will be played in relatively large markets and may be economically viable, however I already get sick of mediocre football during the holidays. 
At this rate, teams will stop celebrating the concept of "making a bowl game" because any .500 team will be in a bowl. 71 teams reached bowl eligibility last year and the creation of two new bowl games will provide a grand total of 68 teams with postseason invites. Don't get me wrong, I love bowl season and rarely peel myself away from the TV during the holiday games. However, games already exist between teams that are barely mediocre. Why do we need two more?
The Big East has 7 tie-ins for its eight team league. While leagues of twelve teams like the ACC and C-USA now have 8 and 6 tie-ins, respectively. So you're telling me that everyone in the Atlantic Coast Conference but Duke, Virginia, NC State and Maryland could go bowling? Or that I have to name 7 bowl-worthy teams in the Big East (um Syracuse and Pitt please...)?
Next thing we know, we'll be watching the 'Ol Ball Coach Bowl in Columbia, SC between two "vastly underachieving teams with brilliant coaching minds". I know it's a cheap shot but its not that far from reality (they did finish 6-6 last year after losing their last 5).
So that's my rant for the day. I'll leave the BCS and the Bob Costas debacle to my fellow bloggers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know that there may seem to be to many Bowls but you have to look at it from another perspective. Community groups are looking for ways to raise money for very deserving charities and this is a good way of doing it. Also chambers of commerce are looking for oppurtunities for showing off their community. So,if they can find 2 teams that qualify let the city have it's fun.

Neil McFadden said...

Or maybe charles, you're a fucking idiot. Have fun at the emerald nuts bowl. Douche.